Friday, June 7, 2013

DYI Powder Dishwashing Detergent

I have been on a quest to become more green. Not only do I feel that it is safer and cheaper, it is fun to make. Here is a simple Powder Dishwashing Detergent.
 
Supplies:
2 cup Borax
2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Kosher Salt (1 cup for hard water*)
 
4 packages Lemonade Kool-Aid
(unsweetened and lemonade kind only)
or
1/2 cup of citric acid
 
20 drops Lemon essential oil or other scent (optional)
Container to store in
 
 
 
I found this container at the Goodwill and liked it because it already has a spoon attached. You just dump all the ingredients in and stir or shake it.


 
You can cut this recipe in half to try a smaller batch. Works just as good if not better as the store bought ones. *I do not have hard water in Texas but when in Colorado I would have some film on my dishes. Kosher salt is used to soften water so try adding more to the mix. I use distilled white vinegar as a rinse aid and it also will help some with the hard water but if not then you might want to stick to a liquid detergent. I will be posting one in a few weeks, once I have tried it out for a while.
 
Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment