Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tie-Dye Your Summer!!


 I will be demoing Tulip's 1 step tie-dye at Hobby Lobbys the next 2 Saturdays! This Saturday, July 20th in Plano (off Legacy) from 11-1 and in Frisco (off Preston) from 2-4. Next Saturday, July 27th in Plano (off W 15th St) from 11-1 and in Allen (off Central Expwy) from 2-4. Stop by and see the new packaging and talk to me about some fun summer projects to create!!
www.tiedyeyoursummer.com. It's going to be fun!
 
Also enter to win a chance for a few mini iPad or a Tulip tie-dye party for you and your friends.
 
 
 
 
My favorite technique is the Ombre (fading technique). The pictures do not do it justice.
I took 1 color, prepared the mix, squirted on the bottom third of the shirt. Then I poured out the dye till I had a quarter left in the bottle (I poured into another bottle to save for another project). Filled my original bottle back up with water (to dilute the color), then squirted the middle section of the shirt. For the last upper section I poured all the color out but just a tiny bit, filled up the bottle to the top with water and squirted on the top section. You will get the hang of how much color contrast you like. In these I should have made the middle a little lighter and the top almost white with a blue tint, but that is my preference. Cover the shirt with a plastic bag and let sit for at least 8 hours, longer for more intense colors. When ready, rinse shirt till water runs clear. Then wash separately.
 
For the 2nd shirt shown, I did a mini bulls eye in pink. I pulled up a tiny section, rubber banded it off and added pink to it before I started with the blue. It is for my daughter and turned out super cute in person.
 
 
Another cool technique is stripes. I folded the apron from the bottom up (accordion style) and used binder clips to keep together, you could use rubber bands also. The binder clips give a good width for stripes.  You add the dye only to the folds of the white sections where the clips are not. Let set over night (at least 8 hours), unclip and rinse in water till it runs clear. Then wash separately. I made red stripes to a bottom of a shirt (up to the arm pit) and added several bull eyes all over the top with blue for a cute fourth of July "flag" shirt. I didn't have pictures of it since it is in storage but will try to add one later.
 

Tulip has all the instructions on the packaging that are super easy to understand and follow. Tulip is my favorite for tie-dying, they make it so simple. They also have several technique ideas to try or you can research the internet for more.

 
Have a fun and colorful summer!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment